At long last, it is now possible to book nights at the brand new Kees and Claire Hut in the Whistler backcountry. This incredible, passive house design facility is going to be a tremendous asset for the South Coast mountain community and is the first link in a proposed chain of three huts throughout the world-class Spearhead Range.
Booking a trip to the hut will provide critical funding to the Spearhead Huts Society, the volunteer group that is working hard to make the vision of a hut chain a reality. Rally your crew for a powder mission this winter. By reserving now you’ll ensure a visit to the hut in its inaugural year, but more importantly you’ll be making a contribution to this incredibly worthwhile cause.
ABOUT THE HUT
The Spearhead Hut Society is now accepting reservations for public use of the Kees and Claire Hut. There is a shutdown from November 1–21, after which the hut is open for use. Weekends through the winter are heavily booked but there is currently plenty of midweek availability.
Reservations can be made online at spearheadhuts.org/reservations
Prices For Staying At The Kees and Claire Hut
- $45/night – Public ($15 discount for children under 14)
- $30/night – Members of the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, Alpine Club of Canada Whistler Section and the British Columbia Mountaineering Club
The Kees and Claire Hut has 38 bunks divided into 6 sleeping areas.
Provided at Kees and Claire Hut:
- Four 2-burner propane cooktops, complete with supplies and equipment for cooking and dining, such as pots, plates, utensils, mugs, glasses, bodums and tea pots
Items to bring to Kees and Claire Hut:
- Light sleeping bag (hut has some heat)
- Foamie/Thermarest (mattresses may be provided in the future)
- Hut slippers
Water At The Hut
While a water system is planned for the future, there isn’t currently water available on tap at the hut. At this time water must be collected from Russet Lake or from melting snow. Guests are asked to pitch in and obtain their own water from Russet Lake or transport snow as needed.
Wastewater disposal is provided at the hut.
- Propane generator with batteries for power storage and LED lighting
- Twelve USB ports for recharging GPS units
- Free-standing propane stove in Brett’s Lounge
- Propane direct-vent heaters and a propane furnace
- Three urine/solid separating toilets with waste collection to minimize environmental impact
- Engineered dispersion field for urine and greywater
- Custodian Room
Additional details about parking and access routes to the hut can be found at: spearheadhuts.org/reservations-now-open-for-kees-claire-hut